Skip to main content

Unconditional Love?

Bare with my opinion here for a minute or two. 

I recently read an article titled "Thinking about getting a dog before having kids? Well don't." or something along those lines. It then went on about this lady who loved her dog but then once she had her kids she basically hated her dog because it was just another thing she had to worry about. She didn't even give it the proper treatment (let alone even remember what was wrong with the dog) when the vet called to tell her what the dog's issue is. The dog is 12 years old. 12 years old! I mean, some people aren't even lucky to get 10 years out of their dog, let alone almost to having a teenager and here she is just brushing it aside like it's a used toy no longer wanting to be played with (ooo shiny new babyyyy). And it makes me so mad that people just push their dogs to the side when things get ruff. (Haha..rough). You made a commitment when you made the decision to own an animal (regardless if it's a dog or what) to parent it, care for it, and love unconditionally, right? 

This also stems from my annoyance and heartbreak over seeing posts on these "garage sale" type of Facebook groups, where someone found out they are having a kid or just had one and have to "get rid" of their pet because they don't want to take the time and effort to take care of something that that previously committed too. But "getting rid" of their dog means paying $500 (AKA a profit) over getting rid of their "pet." hashtag are you for real ?

I have had my fair share of animals growing up, and was fortunate enough to have seen them live long, loving, and healthy lives (20, 18, and 17 years old before passing away), and I can't even have imagined what I would have done if we had to suddenly "get rid" of one of them. Just knowing that I would be responsible for them being uprooted out of their life, and put into someone else's home (or worse, shelter) that I just know won't love them or care for them enough like I do, kills me. Is there no compassion any more for other lives besides our own any more? 

Having a baby is a huge responsibility and I totally get that, or someone has allergy problems, or you have to move and someone doesn't allow animals. But if that were me, I think I would have done everything in my power to find a place that would work for both of us, and not just the benefit of the human. 

I've also seen plenty of cases where someone has a dog (or shocker, more than one pet), AND has a baby, and maybe even another baby on the way, and they STILL manage to take care of ALL of them in a loving and happy environment. So it still gives me hope that there are good pet owners out there in the world, even though we don't see or read about them as much. 

I also had read the article because I feel like it's the natural next step after Robert and I get married and before we have kids. My perfect future consists of having a dog and a cat being best buddies and growing up together, and then later on when offspring comes along, we all be one big happy family. And I've seen it happen in real life. And it will happen with me! 

So please please love your animals unconditionally, and really think before you make a decision as big as being a pet owner, because they have feelings also and I really don't want to have to move way out in the boonies and have a barn and own all of these people's rejected animals (though that IS a thought...hmm). 


End rant (thank you for listening).

Happy Friday! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo