Skip to main content

Honeymoon Part 1

Where to start, where to start? It's surreal to me how we've ALREADY been married over a week, AND that we've already been to the Bahamas and back :( The Bahamas (in Nassau to be exact) is such a beautiful place. It's the same island that has the Atlantis Resort on it, which we could see in the distance down the coast from our resort. We really picked the perfect place to spend our honeymoon. We left cloudy, rainy Dallas and Atlanta to sunshine and white sand, blue water, and 80 degree weather! It's so crazy to me that we've already been back from there after spending the week out of the country. 


Obligatory newlywed plane selfie

Monday morning came dark and early at 4am to catch our first flight out of DFW. I was proudly wearing my super comfy new "wifey" sweatshirt that my friend/bridesmaid Shohreh got me-thank goodness she stalks me on Pinterest ;) along with our brand spankin new wedding bands. Robert's ring looks so good against his dark skin and makes me all giddy inside when I see it on his finger. We were staying at the Royal Bahamian Sandal's resort, and everyone was right-Sandals is the way to go! Getting through customs was a breeze and they were all ready for us and had pickup arrangements for all of us traveling right there, so we didn't really have to wait on anything. Our view was the bomb.com and was picture perfect. After dropping off our stuff we went straight to the bar and then onwards to the beach. My favorite drink of the week was called a Miami Vice, which consisted of half strawberry daiquiri, half pina colada, some added rum, and a cherry on top. Yummy! The whole resort was compacted enough where we could easily walk around and see everything, so we walked towards the back villas and found some tennis courts, and life size chess and shuffleboard. The weather was perfect and the flowers were bloomed so it was just beautiful. The resort had several restaurants for us to chose to dine at, and tonight we at one called Casanova, which served Italian food. I had the BEST Spaghetti Bolognese that I've ever had, and their appetizer/salad bar was to die for. It was really so hard to not just pig out at every place, but we really didn't find anything that we disliked! Afterwards we walked out and they had a performer right there on the beach with fire pits all around, so we sat and enjoyed the one man show with his piano. 


 View from our room! 


 First stop-the bar! 


We went all the way to the Bahamas to eat pizza! 

Tuesday came with a sunny morning-it's really like a dream how lovely the view from our balcony was. We all know how I live for the killer sunsets! We probably did the most exploring on this day, just because we really hadn't found our "spot" yet where we wanted to hang out all day. They have the most amazing breakfast bar that has any and every type of breakfast food you can imagine, so after a hearty breakfast we headed out to the beach for a few hours. For lunch, we ate at one of the outdoor grills and it was there I spotted a Mean Green UNT hat sitting a few tables away. Well, since we were in a completely different country, I convinced Robert to at least go say hi because really, small world for a fellow Mean Greener to be in the same exact place. Not only did we say hi, buttt just so happened that I actually knew them, and had gone to high school with both of them! They were also on their honeymoon as well, and were staying the same amount of time we were. REALLY small world, right?! It was so crazy! After lunch, we headed across to the island about half a mile out that was secluded to just Sandals on one side, and the views were awesome! It was sort of a little too quiet for us, so we decided to head back and then head down to Bay Street, which I guess is like their downtown where all the shops were. It was also where all of the cruise ships were docked, and right on the other side was Paradise Island, where Atlantis is at. Bay Street had a lot of touristy shops, and a ton of jewelry stores for some reason? They also have this thing called the Straw Market, which is like a big warehouse full of shops/booths squished together selling the exact same thing-Bahama t-shirts, souvenirs, bags, and wooden carving things. They liked to haggle with you to make a "deal", so I ended up with a bright tie-dye tank top shirt for $10. We then had a marg at Señor Frog's, where we tried their version of table side guacamole (which wasn't that bad! they were amazed at the level of "spiciness" we were eating it at, which really to me wasn't spicy at all but to them they needed to get a glass of water to help wash it away). We also had prime seats to see the humongous cruise ships pull away from the dock. I've been a cruise before, but I don't remember the ships being this big-especially the Disney cruise line. It's like a giant city on a boat, and I'm amazed at how such a thing functions and works at once. We were about 15-20 minutes out from our resort, and when we finally had a cab take us back, the cab driver took us on a little tour and gave us some trivia info. Our reservations for our dinner weren't until 9:30, so we were taking our time. By the time we got back, we just so happened to be in the right spot in our room because they called and moved our reservations up to 7:30-which was about 30 minutes from the time we got back-not showered and hot from being outside all day. We ate at Kimonos, which is a hibachi type place, and nothing special to say the least. We did meet another older couple who are from Argyle, and own a business off of Business 121 in Lewisville-again, another small world!  


 The Disney cruise ship was MASSIVE!
Margarita and Guacamole? Don't mind if we do! 

The resort itself didn't have much of a "nightlife" I would say, since it's mainly a couple's resort and we were one of the younger couples there. Once the nightly entertainment was over around 10:30, everyone just kind of dispersed back to their rooms or to the Cricketer's Pub, which was the only bar that was open that late. The Bahama food doesn't seem to be concerned with salt, so some of the wings Robert ate and the french fries we shared were a little bland. 


 The view walking out of the building 


No filter, photo courtesy of my husband :)

At this point in the trip, it felt like the days were going so slow, which was fine by me! For as busy as we were, I was grateful for this. I tried my best to soak up everything from the sites to the smells to the sun. The weather was great like I said, and it didn't even feel like we were next to a beach (no humidity thank goodness!), and it smelled fresh and clean, again not like the normal sea weedy beaches. Robert was definitely ready to find a house and never come back! 


 Duh, sunsets are my jam! 


No filter once again. I could just sit and stare!

More to come for the rest of our amazing time on Nassau! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo