Skip to main content

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made. 



Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to look back on what I was going through and then to see the final product come to life.

My first thought (after the initial shock and phone calls) when Robert first popped the question was "crap, how do you plan a wedding???" "where do I start-what do I do now?" It was definitely a little disheartening and I remember asking Robert if he just wanted to go to the courthouse to make it official because I did not know a single thing about it and was sort of depressed based on pricing I had quoted for a couple of venues. I hadn't even heard of our now venue choice when we first started until I ran into a friend that was getting married there in a few months, and it really is just stepping into the unknown and a learn-as-you-go experience. 

For anyone that knows me, they know that I am very indecisive. Please don't ask me where to eat, because I don't know. The hardest part so far is actually deciding what type of look: flowers, colors, decorations, photo styles, accessories, cake, etc. I've found that once a decision is made, stick with it, don't second guess yourself, and remove all things Pinterest related so you don't keep changing you mind. Seriously-that's probably the best thing to do because Pinterest aka the dreamland of all dream weddings will create serious doubt in any decision. I deleted old pins once a choice was made, so I don't have to think of all of the "what-ifs" of not using the 1000 pins for one bridal bouquet. So far I have been super pleased with all of my vendor choices so far, and just makes me more excited (and slightly anxious) to see it all come together. I highly recommend all of my choices, and most of them I chose because THEY were recommended to me by others:



Venue: The Tribute Golf Club is seriously a life savor. With my tendencies, I do not have the patience to sit and choose table settings, napkin colors, find servers/cleaners to rent, a caterer at a decent price, find silverware to use, and all that jazz. This place has it ALL in one. Ceremony, reception, servers, forks, tables, chairs, chair covers, a BAR, an on sight coordinator the day of, and rooms to crash in afterwords upstairs. Right up my alley. The view of the lake doesn't hurt either. 'Nuff said. 

Dress: I already knew which dress I was going to have before I was even engaged. I found it, found a store in the DFW area that carried it, and then had that little piece of info dangling in my brain until the day I actually needed it. Plus it was in my budget, and better yet the dress is being discontinued after this year so it will be more of a one of a kind with no potential to see it on any other brides moving forward. I found mine at Lasting Bridal Couture, and within the first hour or so, already had it tried on and chosen. After that, it's just a waiting game. I recommend after setting your date and location to get the dress ASAP. I ordered mine in February, and it didn't come in until the end of July. I haven't even begun the alterations yet to the custom changes I am going to make. 

Photography: LG Photography by Lisa Cavet was recommended to me by my bridesmaid Brittany that had used her at her own wedding a few years ago, and I love the style of these! Our engagement photos are on my Facebook, so you've already seen the beauty of the talent that Lisa has. She is very laid back and has great suggestions, but also is cool enough to let me add my own ideas to what kind of "look" I was looking for. She traveled all the way out from Azle, TX to meet us in Denton, so not exactly around the corner for her, and we are very grateful for that. 

Flowers: Petals Couture this was another recommendation from peeps I know. I had first noticed this place by some of the pictures some of my Facebook friends had posted from their own weddings, and I loved everything about meeting Emily and picking these out. I already had in mind what look I was going for (thanks again Pinterest), so it wasn't hard to narrow down and get her to share my vision. This place is also a life savor, since they will be coming in the day of the wedding to set everything up, but will also come back after the wedding to take everything down and clean up. 

Cake: One of my oldest friends Devon had recently gotten married and was one of the many people who recommended this place in Flower Mound. The Jenny Layne Bakery was such a fun experience (come on...eating cake and looking at awesome pictures?) and Jenny was such a cool person to chat with, and very knowledgeable and accommodating to our visions and questions. I mean, she was getting married in a few short weeks (from the time we met her) and of course being able to make her own cake, she had it UP.SIDE.DOWN and suspended in the air. So cool. Find her on Facebook to see a pic. 

Whew. Seems like a lot, but the hardest part is actually now figuring out all of the little pieces to fit into all of this. Always ask people. I found most of my vendors by asking people online who they had used or recommended and it went from there. I don't know what people used to do without a social media platform to use. Sorry this is so long, but you probably aren't doing anything anyways if you read this far ;) 

Til next time! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half