Skip to main content

Engaged, 2 years later

January 25, 2014

Fair Warning: This is a post full of 2 year old memories because two silly little not-so-long-ago years ago (as of yesterday) was our trip to New York City (my 4th time, Robert's first) to visit my sister. Or so I thought. We had made plans the previous fall (Hey let's go to New York he said. Lets see your sister he said) to visit so that way we could experience the city together AND also get to see my sister, since she was at West Point at the time, which is only about an hour's train ride outside of the city. So we made the plans! And surprise! For Christmas, Robert surprised both my sister and I with 10th row tickets to see Luke Bryan at Madison Square Garden, so to say we were beyond excited was an understatement. 



Ah New York. It really is THE coolest city, and it's exactly like you see it on TV. It's hard to imagine living a life like that: hustle and bustle every day to work, catching cabs to get places, or most (like us) just walking everywhere weaving in and out of traffic because my life is so....calm compared to that. But it's an amazing feeling. The city never sleeps, and the city lights = in love. So because I had already seen New York (thanks to band and soccer), I was ultra excited to have Robert experience the love I have for the city. It's dirty, and stinky, and loud. There are tourists everywhere and cabs honking at every corner. There are weirdo people in Times Square dressed as Spiderman, hanging upside down on the light poles before getting in trouble with the cops. But you can't go to NYC and tell me that you don't love it too. I dare you!



But this is why I needed a blog! To write these thoughts so I can remember. Since I didn't have my blog at the time of our engagement, I don't remember everything (except the most important things of course). First of all, it was freezing. Cold like us Texans have probably never experienced. It was a dry, down to the bone type of cold. I was 15lbs heavier due to the layers, and Robert had to buy a scarf and ear muffs at Century 21 because he didn't bring any. It was in-between those huge snow storms that blew through during 2014, so the ground was covered in snow/ice/mush but it wasn't bad weather storming on us, thank goodness. Second of all, it was a week before the Denver/Seahawks Super Bowl that was being played in Jersey, so everything was being set up for the coverage. Macy's had a whole stinking floor dedicated to the NFL. And third, did I mention it was cold?!




We caught a New York Rangers hockey game against the Blues the first night because it was a last minute decision and we didn't have any other plans, except to eat Wendy's (all the way to New York for some Wendy's...). We spent time on top of the Empire State Building even though it was glacial up there, and it was worth the frozen noses. We subway'd downtown to check out Wall Street and the 911 Memorial, which we couldn't ever get to because of the construction of the new WTC so we only got to see the outside of that. We stomped our way with frozen feet up through Chinatown and Little Italy, where we enjoyed a homemade pizza and cheesecake from a hole in the wall shop just to be out of the cold. We power walked up through SoHo and finally made it back to our room at the Roosevelt Hotel. We mosied around Times Square several times because it's just that cool. 


 








Then it was FINALLY Saturday! Luke Bryan! But first, my sister had to get there. She was riding the train into Grand Central Station and was going to meet up with us. Robert and I had plans to walk up 5th avenue and check out Central Park. And that's where things went downhill. Most of you probably know that Robert purposely "picked a fight" with me so the "asking" would be more of a surprise. Well, I just don't fly that way and I ended up walking my stubborn self up 5th avenue alone to make it up to Central Park. If he wanted to miss it that was on him! Luckily our silly iPhones have this creepy feature where you can see my location, so he was following me the whole time. Finally caught up to me in the park and made up a little bit (okayyyy he bought me some warm roasted nuts that smelled SO good and some hot chocolate so he was forgiven) and walked some more (avoiding the yellow snow) and then HE suggested that we take a photo together. Well I'm always down to document things so I didn't think anything of it, and he asked a total stranger to take our photo. She kindly obliged, and then he asked for one more, and that's when I saw it out of the corner of my eye: he bent down on one knee and pulled out the box! Said a few shorts words and I said "is this for real??" several times before I could finally say yes. So surreal. 






The girl taking our picture was so surprised, and after it was done another group of tourists who had seen us came up and congratulated us. All this time you go over how you envision your proposal and things that you're going to say, but when the time comes that all flies out the door. We were engaged! Whatttt? Oh, and my sister was on the train when my new fiancé texted the photos to our parents while I called my mom so she was a wee bit anxious to finally get to us! We ate a celebratory lunch at Becco and then Luke Bryan that night was just the icing on the cake (or was the Sbarro pizza we had after the concert??) and here we are: already 2 years post engagement, 9 months post marriage, and onto happily ever after! 




If you read this to the end, I commend you. But I'm glad to have such a memorable experience and a great life to be able to do these things. Oh, and a husband after all this ain't too bad either ;) Never take the time or trips or people you have around for granted, because time seriously flies so fast. <3 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half