Skip to main content

Wedding Day Q & A's

What were you thinking when you woke up on your wedding day?

I had planned on getting a good night's rest since I was staying at my parents' house in Flower Mound, so I didn't set an alarm. Low and behold my natural body clock thought it was time to get up for work, so I was awake and laying in bed as early at 6:30 (but really, I didn't get much sleep at all!), just thinking over and over that I couldn't believe that this day was here, and we finally get to showcase everything that we had been working towards the past 15 months, and most importantly, I finally got to marry my best friend. It was a very surreal day that I look back at and I think I was just completely numb to my feelings (probably because I felt very uncomfortable being the very center of attention all day long). 

Where did you get your dress/who designed it?

I got my dress at Lasting Bridal Couture in Addison, in which I had already scoped them out months before Robert and I ever even got engaged. It's designed by Sottero and Midgley. I found the dress on Pinterest originally, and through the designer's website, found a location in the area that carried it. At one of my last fittings, they told me that the dress was being discontinued after this year, so it's even more special that no one will have the chance to see it on anyone moving forward, so it's more of my dress and not a dress that everyone's seen before! I had it altered into a sweetheart neckline and had it tucked in more closer to my knees so that the bottom popped out more (I also had a layer of tulle added to accentuate the pop).





Did you and Robert agree on everything?

Looking back, I think we did agree on most everything. He gave me free reign to pick and choose as far as colors and designs and stuff, and I let him have his input on things that concerned him (like buffet vs. plated dinners or tux vs. suit-*spoiler* suit worked juuuuust fine). The most "disagreeing" that occurred was mainly regarding what to put on our registry, and I learned a big lesson in compromise over that!


What were your songs?

Bridal Party walking down the aisle: I Can't Help Falling in Love With You - Elvis Presley (Instrumental Version) and Marry Me - Train (Instrumental Version)

Bride walking down the aisle: A Thousand Years- The Piano Guys (Christina Perry cover) 

Bride and Groom announced as Husband/Wife: Marry You- Bruno Mars

Bride and Groom first dance: Look At Me- Alan Jackson

Father/Daughter dance: I Loved Her First- Heartland

Mother/Son dance: The Perfect Fan- Backstreet Boys

Private Last Dance: supposed to have been Marry Me by Train, but ended up being I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz since everyone wasn't out of the ballroom yet. 

Most played: The Cupid Shuffle ;) 

What was your cake?

So our cake didn't quite turn out like I was expecting it to, (I wasn't really feeling the flowers and the shape wasn't as spiral staircase-y as I was thinking it would be) BUT it was delicious, and it still looked pretty, and I would definitely order from Jenny Layne Bakery again. We had italian cream, white with oreo filling, lemon raspberry, and red velvet as the layers. For Robert's cake, we did a cooler with UNT decals, and real beer inside, which was perfect because we both met/went to school at UNT, and frequent the campus every fall for tailgating.





Where did you go on your honeymoon?

Le Siiiigh. We went to an all inclusive, couple's only Sandals Resort in Nassau, Bahamas. And it was glorious in all it's warm sunshine and clear blue water and awesome staff and yummy food and white sand and I could go on and on. Check it out here and here. Can we go back already?



Who married you?

So this is a somewhat funny type of story, as our officiant, Allen Pope, was the pastor at the church that my parents went to when I was a wee little thing living in Fort Worth. We moved to Flower Mound before I started Kindergarten, so he hadn't seen me since I was that little, but my family had actually gone out to visit him and his family in Cali at one point in time, and 20 years later he happened move back to Texas, and caught back up with my parents. Yay for long run on sentences.We were so glad to have someone that knew me as a child also see how I was as an adult and we were honored to have him marry us!



How and when did you know you wanted to marry Robert?

I think I knew from the very first summer that we were together. My relationship with Robert was so different from any other time, and really it was a case of "when you know, you know." Little known fact, I was actually dating someone else when Robert and I met, and I pretty much would ditch that guy (sorry not sorry) to go hang out with Robert, even though we were just friends at the time. I find validation in doing that since he DID become my husband...no regrets! And everyone kept telling me that they had never seen Robert act like this towards a girl before, so I think he knew also ;)

Did you cry?

Nope, not at all! I've said that it was pretty much an out of body experience, but I kind of wish I did have some emotional reaction to anything, but that's just not me. My emotional reactions usually stem from music, but since I couldn't hear anything and it happened so fast that it was just white noise in my ears so I couldn't focus on anything.

Where did you get each other’s wedding rings/bands?

I got Robert's wedding band at Jared's, and my wedding band came from Dallas Diamonds when he got my customized engagement ring. Easy a pie!




How did you come up with April 11 as your wedding date?

Up until last year when we actually decided on a wedding day, April 11 had no meaning to either of us. We knew we wanted a semi-long engagement, just to avoid the stress of having to plan a wedding in a short amount of time, and just settled on something the following spring. Our anniversary is May 23, but that was also the same day as my sister's graduation from Westpoint, so we couldn't choose that. April seemed like the perfect month, and the right amount of time to plan a wedding, so April 11 it became!

What was your favorite moment of the day?

My favorite moment was probably when we had our first dance to Alan Jackson's Look At Me. The lyrics were perfect, and we had even practiced how to dance and twirl, and it was a really sweet moment I think, for both of us.


Best advice for a future bride planning her wedding?

Stick with your gut! If you like something, don't look at 5 other examples to choose from, because that's just going to create doubt and a hard choice to make in the end. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would probably change every single thing I chose, just to have something different. But that also doesn't mean that I would change anything that I chose for our day as it was. Also, a lot of stuff could possibly be done DIY, so if you're creative or have a creative friends/family, it could be a fun time for you, and save you some moolah!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo