Skip to main content

New Yorkkkk: street lights, big dreams all looking pretty

What a whirlwind of events these past few days! Robert and I traveled back to New York to spend a day in the city and then to head north to Westpoint for my sister's graduation from the United States Military Academy. 

Wellllll, our trip didn't quite start off as planned. As in our flight was cancelled Wednesday night. Right when we were at the gate to board. Not to mention we didn't have a ride back from the airport because we had taken an Uber. Fortunately the airline had rolled us automatically to the next flight for us. Unfortunately it was the next morning, with a layover in Atlanta, which was the worst possible outcome, as we had a hotel already booked Wednesday night and were planning on spending the entire day in the city. After a few hours of negotiating and phone calls and decisions, we found a flight that would take us straight there non-stop. Sold! Bring it on. Not even the thunderstorm at 5 am could stop us. 



--well, we thought we were starting the night off right!--finally made it--let the chaos begin!--

New York is still amazing. It's still the city that I fell in love with over a decade ago when I first had the opportunity to go out there for a soccer tournament. It's dirty and smelly and there is graffiti everywhere. There are construction sites and cones set up somewhere on each street. There are plenty of old looking yellow cabs, honking their horns every 5 seconds. There are trash bags piled up outside the buildings. But on top of this mess is such a beautiful scene despite all the chaos and with the history of the city (not to mention the tv shows and movies scenes you recognize), it all comes together with the buildings and skyscrapers and people and it's so crazy to be involved in the natural movement of the city. 



--Found this awesome Reebok store dedicated to hockey!--Street hot dogs, the bomb.com!--The Roosevelt Hotel where we stayed last year when we got engaged;)--

          

--Carnegie Hall-I got to play there in 2006 when FMHS band went up there for our spring trip!--Radio City Music Hall--

Everything was green! The last time Robert and I had been here in January of 2014, it was covered in a few feet of snow and ice, so it was such a nice change to not be covered in layers and layers of clothing and jackets and could enjoy walking through the streets instead of rushing to get to the next spot to get warm. The hot dogs are amazing. The best I've ever had. There are people in suits walking to the next meeting. There are food trucks set up on every block among 5th and 6th Avenue. Not to mention that I know those subways like a BOSS now. 


--What a difference a year and a half makes!--Excuse my 5am airplane pony tail mess of a hairdo--frozen, not frozen--

After we dropped off our luggage, we headed for Central Park to find the place that Robert had proposed to me at. It actually took a lot longer to find that I thought, but we found it! And it looked the same. But also different because there wasn't snow anywhere, and because things happened so fast last January, things I thought were there before weren't there this time. But we found it! And then we left-ha! After some shopping at Century 21 off of Broadway, we headed downtown to see the 9/11 Memorial Pools that we missed last time. Which was very cool, sad, and amazing all rolled into one. The last time I had been there, it was just a hole in the ground and the construction crews were still clearing things out and there were thousands of pictures and articles that people had posted on the fences around Ground Zero. Afterwards, we worked our way up through Chinatown and Little Italy, where we enjoyed some "authentic" chicken fried rice, which really didn't taste or look ANY different than what we get down here. We also stopped at a place to get some canollis from the Conolli King. Our waiter didn't know why we were being so nice until she figured out we were from Texas. Isn't it weird to try and not be nice? I don't understand it, but I think we brightened her day! 



--World Trade Tower--One of the Memorial Pools for 9/11 at Ground Zero--Little Italy with the Empire State Building in the distance--

After a long day and almost 30 thousand steps later, we made it back to Grand Central Station to head north to meet my family and to get ready for the upcoming events for the next couple of days! New York is amazing, like I said. And it will continue to be amazing for the NEXT time we take a trip up there ;) 



--Grand Central Station--last view of the sunset from the train--

'Til next time, New York <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo