Skip to main content

Quinoa & Brown Rice Jambalaya Dinner




So I kind of sort of made up my own dinner recipe the other night-and it was muy deliciosa! I won't take full credit, since the basis of it came from a box, but what I added it to customize and make our own I'm pretty proud of and stoked that it came out so yummy. 

Has anyone heard of Quinoa? For the longest time, I had heard of this mystery product, but always thought that it was pronounced Kwin-o-uh, you know, like it's spelled? Finally I learned the truth and have been a bit annoying about saying it the correct way (Keeeen-wah)! I knew from the things I've heard that this was a healthier option-protein rich and high in fiber (which helps you feel fuller, longer, and helps with digesting). It's also gluten free, and cooks a lot faster than your normal rice would. I think it's considered a "super food" because it has all of these amazing health benefits without the high calories and without any gluten, plus all of the amino acids. Anyway, I've been interested in it, and bought a box of Quinoa/Brown Rice mix at the grocery store the other day-and was not disappointed. 

Since I'm taking baby steps here I used a boxed version, and because I find Kwin-o-uh Quinoa to be a liiiitle plain on the taste buds, I was excited to try this new mix of food and make it yummy-without adding a bunch to it!


Here's what you'll need (and basically you can add/subtract what you like or don't like):

-1 Box of Quinoa/Brown rice mix (I randomly used the Mediterranean flavor I think?)
-1 Can of drained string green beans (I already had these laying around the pantry)
-1 Link of pre-cooked sausage (also, already had lying around the fridge)
-1 Can of chopped tomatoes and chilies (found on the Mexican aisle) 
- A little bit of olive oil
-1 Bag of pre-cooked shrimp, with no tails ($5 at Walmart!)
-Cayenne pepper to taste

I followed the directions on the box, and added the sausage and shrimp with about 5 minutes left since they were already pre-cooked. After it sits for about 5 minutes, I sprinkled with the cayenne pepper, and I could definitely tell it gave us the flavor we were looking for. Because of the shrimp, tomatoes, and spice of the pepper, it reminded me of a jambalaya mix! I ate it plain, but the hubby likes to eat this kind of stuff with crackers. This would probably be good with onions or chicken. Basically anything is interchangeable to what ever you like (you can have whatever you liiiiiike). It also took less than 20 minutes start to finish.




Now, Quinoa looks a littttle strange as well. Just try and pretend that it's not little round insect eyes and you're all set! Kidding...I thought I would have a problem with the texture, but it really wasn't any different than rice, plus the veggies and meats together mixed it all together so you don't notice. Maybe next time I'll try just pure keen-wahhh Quinoa? I'll need to find new recipes to try! 


Enjoy, bon appetite, & get in my belly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo