Skip to main content

House Bucket List: Summer 2015

Schoooooool's out. For. The summmmmerrrr!! 
(sung like Alice Cooper, of course)

Which is completely irrelevant to my life, but I feel like "summer break" should be an excuse to get some things done around the house that have been on the back burner since this little thing called a "wedding" was the main focus for the past year and a half. We've almost been in our new house for a year now come September, and besides our basic furniture and a few DIYs, the walls are still empty, and we don't have really anything going on in our guest bedroom (besides a bed-baby steps here!), or our study (looks strangely empty without all of our wedding crap!). I'm ready to organize, then re-organize, and organize some more!

Thank goodness for my handy dandy pinterest board to keep all of my ideas for me. Trying to actually make use of it, instead of just thinking of it. Actions speak louder than pins, am I right?! 

So far, only little touches have been added, such as a coffee mug hanging spot to clear up some space in our cabinets (inspiration found here), and a DIY Sofa Table that my then-fiance put together and I painted. It's not perfect (yet), and still need some baskets or what not to go into the slots, but for now it's an easy access game holder and another shelf top to put some of the random pieces of decor that we've had floating around. 

This summer, I'm hoping to accomplish the following:

-Shelves in the study! So we can prop up our accomplishments and get some organized space in there! The house already came with a built in desk along 2 walls (it was used a craft room before-love!), but with no drawers or any type of storage, it's a mess.


-A picture/collage wall. We have a massive, empty wall along our entire kitchen and dining room hallway that is in dire need of some love. Would love to start a collection of some of our canvas prints and some neat-o frame pieces that we were given at our wedding/bridal showers. Inspiration coming from a friend of friend's house, and this pin:


-Shelf over our washer and dryer. I've been wanting to this ever since we have moved in. I guarantee that there are at least a couple shirts and some socks behind there from being knocked off, which is not so easily accessible. This could alleviate this issue, plus add a little sum'n sum to the room, since it's pretty bland. 


-Some sort of floating shelf, mirror, and decorative picture-ish spot for the wall behind our sofa in the living room. Can't stick too far out since we walk right by it, but I like both of these ideas (minus the pallet looking thing). Maybe try and incorporate both? 



-Something like this above our bed. It's just an empty wall right now-borrrring. 

So basically it's going to be a lot of shelving. But definitely do-able, and DIY-able. Ready, husband? Can't wait to take before and after pictures, and to also actually put words into action. I'm also hoping to find rugs for our dining room table, our living room, and our master bedroom since we have hardwood floors, but can't find any I like (or can't find any cheap knock off ones from pinterest). Stay tuned! Baby steps, remember. Now let me go close out my pinterest board so I won't get into any more trouble or get any more ideas...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo