Skip to main content

A Day for Fathers

In light of recent events (aka Father's Day), I thought it would be appropriate to dedicate a whole post to the one I get to call "Dad" all day err day! 

We really wouldn't be here if it weren't for Fathers. Literally-they are half of each and every one of us, and before I get old and gray and forget these things. I'd like to remember some of my fondest memories with me own Da. (Outlander's got me talkin' a wee bit Scottish, too). 

As I grow older, it's harder and harder to not forget specific memories, especially the one's through my eyes of youth. So mainly, this post is for me and my own self to look back on and smile.

I remember the very first time that my dad taught me to ride my bike without training wheels. I think I was about Kindergarten age, and it was on the side of the house I grew up in, and I had my pink Barbie bike. I don't remember it taking too long to get the hang of it, but stopping was a different story (more of a scared to use the pedals breaks so I used to just jump off the bike mid-ride into someone's yard).

We used to play family fooseball with my dad and I (the D's), vs. my mom and Mallory (the M's). I'd like to say that I think the D's has the most winning record. Things got realll intense.

My sister and I would play the tickle game with him when we were little and he sat in the middle of the living room and we would try and get past him. 

On Christmas Eve, Mallory and I always devised a plan to "catch Santa," only to have him come up the stairs and shut it down because we were making too much noise moving pillows and blankets into the game room. 

Along with Christmas Eve, he used to read The Night Before Christmas to both of us before bed, and I still have that book somewhere, and still know most of it by heart.

I remember one time I was being a normal teenager (complete with attitude and sass, because I already knew everything, ya know?), and he cursed some grown up words at me while we were driving home in the old white Mitsubishi in our neighborhood and I was so shocked that I don't think I said anything after that!

Speaking of the old white Mitsubishi Eclipse, he taught me to drive stick shift in the old Convergence parking lot and made me drive home on (at the time) 2 lane 3040, and I stalled and had an all out panic at the light by the Tom Thumb and Valley. I think I stalled like twice and everyone was honking before I finally lurched into drive. Never again-ha! 

When he woke me up in the mornings, he always used to grab Piggy (my most prized stuff animal that I've had since birth!) and would tickle my face with him. I always hated when he did that, but I think mostly because I didn't want to wake up. 

He was the musical influence in my life, and we rocked Van Halen's Van Halen CD before every GLASA soccer game...with Ice Cream Man being the ultimate pump up song right before we got there. 

When I made 2nd chair in All Region band when I was in 8th grade (after a disastrous disappointment during District tryouts), he was the first one to run up the stairs to congratulate my since he was listening on the other phone when my private lesson instructor called to tell me the results super late. 

When I broke my arm in Kindergarten (fell out of a tree house playing Jurassic Park-duh), he was about to call for an ambulance I was like "nooooo don't!!!" and then we drove like speed demons to the hospital in Lewisville with the flashers on.

And last, and most importantly, he was the first one to read Harry Potter to me in 5th grade, in which I took the book and promptly finished it myself, thus creating this obsession with my favorite book series. Most important, see? 

Anyway, I am so very lucky to have such a figure that has been in my life from the very beginning, through thick and thin, sickness and in health, and all the mumbo gumbo in between and still loves me unconditionally! The one who needed a beer when he knew that I was coming, and also the one who knew gave me a playmate because I was too wild on my own at 3 years old. I said this yesterday, but as much as I'm very fortunate to be your daughter, and I'm more prouder that you're my dad! And I will forgive you for going back to London later this summer with Mom without me, even though it's for your anniversary. I'm very fortunate to have shared the same last name for 26 years, and also gained a great Father in Law as well with my new name :) Much love! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo