Skip to main content

City Lights, College Football, and an Engagement!!

Whoa! It's been a hot minute. I almost forgot about this thing called blogging? Life just took a hard right turn at Busy and Hectic and hasn't really slowed down! I figured if I'm going to keep up at least once a year or so on this thing, I have to pick and choose what I need to blog about...which is our trip to New York City last weekend for the UNT vs Westpoint football game and important engagement needing to happen...my little sister put a ring on it!! Well, her fiancĂ© (not to be confused with finance) did. And what a beauty it was! 


Thursday after a long, uneventful delay on the airplane (thanks rain), we were finally on our way! This time we had a group of friends who had never been, but my in-laws were meeting us there and got to see the magic of this city for the first time. My sister and her then-boyfriend were flying up later on to meet up with us which made me so SO so SO happy!! They almost weren't able to get to go, but everything all worked out in the end. After a back road Uber ride through Queens, we finally got settled in our hotel and then hit the streets. We stayed 1 block away from The Empire State Building, and were also just a short walk away from Times Square. Seriously, the view from our window waking up each morning was to die for. Straight uninterrupted view of the building. I could get used to this! The weather was just right (maybe a little humid for my hair's sake), but it was the perfect night to walk up Times Square, check out the Brooklyn Diner for dinner, and then make our way through Central Park right at dusk. One of my most favorite things in the entire world is just city lights. New York is the place to be, and we got to see some classic things. One of my favorite holiday moves is Home Alone 2, so I made sure to swing by the Plaza Hotel so Robert and I could get our fix of "Merry Christmas you filthy animal" before the season gets here. If I'm being honest, we use that phrase year round and not ashamed! Wondering down 5th Avenue at night is almost magical. The beautiful stores everywhere that you recognize from the movies is a sight to see. We stopped in at St. Patrick's Cathedral for the first time, which was just as beautiful. Stopped by TGI Fridays for a snack, Rockefeller Plaza for a quick peak, and then we were waiting for my sis to arrive.






Friday morning came bright and early and my poor eyes were feeling it. We were also met with nonstop rainy drizzle the entire day, which of course did not deter our plans one bit. To the Statue of Liberty we go! I had seen it up close once before in the dead of summer many years ago, so all I needed was a quick peak and we were set. We had a quick stroll up to pay our respects at Ground Zero again, which really never gets old. Then we were headed on our way up through Chinatown and Little Italy for some yummy, delicious, best- pizza-I've-ever-had lunch at Lombardi's! I could eat that pizza all day err day. Apparently it's one of the first places in NYC to carry the New York style pizza. After a well deserved nap that afternoon, we got dazzled up for some night time Times Square viewing-which also happened to be the place of our amazing dinner. Carmine's off 44th street was just as delicious! Family style Italian, and boy did we carb load on some ceasar salad (fave!), penne alla vodka (also my fave), chicken alla romane (also also my fave!), and some good ole spaghetti and meatballs (not really my fave). Another late night and the fun was just beginning! 





The last time North Texas played at Army, they broke our QB's leg (not cool). So we were only hoping for a decent showing and boy did we show up! Saturday morning came not so bright but definitely still early, but I knew we were in for a treat ;). We were also greeted with a blast of cooler weather, mixed in with the rain-a true fall experience that us Texans can really only see on Pinterest. We rode the train up from Grand Central Station, and were immediately shuttled over to West Point. The plan was to walk around a quick tour of the campus so the others could see what we can only describe, grab in a quick engagement, and then head to the tailgate UNT had set up and onwards to the game. It was pelting down freezing rain the entire time we were walking around, but miraculously caught a break right when it was show time! The plan was to get to Trophy Point (which funny story, I couldn't remember what this was called and for some reason had in my head that it was called Chicken Hill), which has an amazing view of the Hudson River. It was a great place for photo ops for the family, and also an amazing backdrop for question popping! My sister had no idea and of course said yes! I was so glad I got to witness the greatest moment for her! Coincidentally, she had forgotten gloves that day which only means that it was MEANT TO BE! Yayyyyy! We got a quick post-engagement celebratory brunch at the North Texas tailgate, and then headed into Michie Stadium for the game. UNT won the game, but the overall experience was awesome. I always loved seeing West Point, and seeing the Cadets and the history and the unity of our Army is a special feeling. And no broken bones this time that I'm aware of. 







<3333





After a cold and rainy day outside, there truly is nothing better than a hot meal and some fresh socks. And as frozen as my toes were, I found comfort in the fact that it was NOT the worst cold, rainy football game experience that I've had. Army Navy 2014 anyone? 



I freaking love NYC. I love the fast paced hustle and bustle of it all. I love the lights, the 3 story stores, the culture. Each time I go I love it more and more, and luckily each time I've been it's been a different part of the year. January, March, April, May, July, October. Maybe we can try for each month of the year? Only 6 more trips to go! I also freaking love my sister. We have come so far in our relationship, and I can't wait to see where this next year takes her! 


These streets will make you feel brand new; Big lights will inspire you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Well. I did it. Took the plunge. Jumped off the band wagon. And I feel....about 8-9 inches lighter!  And the not so pretty before photo (just looked at all that fried straw!):  #shorthairdontcare 

Winter is Coming..so is a Wedding!

Burrrr! Today is a balmy 40 degrees outside-and I'm definitely not ready for it despite my scarf-wearing, boot shopping fashion choices since September, hoping to "force" Fall to actually happening, but now that it's here: go away! Or at least just get a liiiitle bit warmer, so I can still have fun in my dozens of scarves and boots, but not freeze my ass off. Ka-peesh? My parents like to kindly remind me of what's to come in December, since we are going to the Army-Navy football game in Baltimore. Last year in Philly was just awful (and by awful I mean freezing, rainy, icy, cold, hungry, wet, sweaty, repeat) but a blasty blast being in a new city and living through new memories being made.  Any hoo-Even though I'm not snuggled up at home on this festive Veteran's Day (thank you to everyone who has served!), warm in my bed, I still wanted to touch on some wedding related topics: vendors. This could also be fun to read AFTER the wedding in April, to loo

Wedding Invites: DIY

During my wedding planning, one of the things that I was most "sticker shocked" on was how much wedding invitations cost! I looked everywhere (and I'm talking everywhere: Etsy, Michaels, Target, Pinterest, any online shop, etc.) for ones that I liked that were cute, not too elaborate, and at a reasonable price (meaning not $300-600). I mean, it's a sheet of paper, envelope, stamp, and RSVP basically. It wasn't until I found this DIY that I finally had a possibility for what we were wanting to use for our invites, and I think they turned out great (for a DIY).  2 Invites could be made from 1 sheet of paper. I printed the actual invite on Vellum paper, and then put it over the card stock.  Here's what you need:  FREE Template 1 pack of 100 sheet Card Stock Paper-I got mine from Michaels because it was shimmery but not too blingy 1 pack of white vellum paper (I got mine at Staples) Ribbon in color of your choice Hole Puncher Scissors Half